5/6/11

Baby love...any way I can get it.

This past year has been an interesting one, with many firsts. I had spent the last few years working in payroll for a restaurant franchise. It was monotonous work, but it kept me busy and still allotted for our traipsing across the country, in our many endeavors. However, last summer I was informed they were outsourcing my position and would eventually be laid off. I remember having mixed emotions: as much as I oft complained, I enjoyed the people I worked with and was left to wonder what to do with myself.

Since my husband has a very good job, it was not immediately pertinent for me to find income. I remember the first few weeks thinking "heck yea, shopping, laying out at the pool everyday, watching as many Sportscenters as I possibly can, & catching up on the DVR, and my favorite: reading, reading, and oh yeah...more reading, my life is free and easy." Let me tell you, this is cool for 2.5 hrs and then, as a grown woman w/no children, being a "stay at home wife" isn't anywhere nearly as "glamorous" as it may seem, as a matter of fact, it is lame. You begin to question your self worth, wondering what you possibly have to offer, how did your poor husband get stuck w/you. plus, let's be serious, if you can't keep your house perfectly spotless and a mighty fine meal on the table, for when your hubs walks in from his day of "actual work" you have failed as a wife...but man, doesn't he know E TV has a way of entrancing you and one hour becomes six?!

After a few months of this I looked into volunteering. I looked and looked. I really wanted to help out in some local churches. However, every one I looked into only had a "need" for filing paperwork in their offices. I'm sorry, but that's not "volunteering" or the "Lord's work" that is something that you should be paying someone $10 an hour to do! With help from the hubs, I eventually stumbled upon a Catholic school near my house that had need of a nursery worker two-three days a week. Babies, babies, babies...jackpot, jackpot, jackpot!!!!

I have been doing this for about six months now and I feel it's right where I am supposed to be. I get cuddles in as much as possible. I have seen first smiles, awaited that first roll over, and cheered mightily as my favorite(yes, sorry, I'm human...I definitely have a favorite) "Chubs" as we call her took her first few steps! And the cool experience is that her mom is a teacher in the school and we got to rush find her and let her also enjoy the moment.

Sometimes life doesn't happen the way we want or expect, therefore it's up to us to seek the small moments of joy and contentment anyway we can!

No comments: